Thursday 4 December 2014

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas

17167166Book Blurb (from goodreads) 
From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.
Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.

My review: 
This book was full of twists and turns and full of exhilarating scenes. I would not say that it was better than Throne of Glass but it was defiantly not bad. 
The plot of this book was interesting. It was going one way and just when we were accepting the information that we were given the book took a violent turn in a different direction. Their were plot twists at the end of the book which I will talk about at the end in a spoiler part of this review. This book defiantly had some brilliant fight scenes which got your heart speeding. It was a page turner from start to finish. If I were to pick one place that annoyed, me it would be how Celaena had reacted to a specific event and would not leave her room. I did not enjoy the time where she was just sat and felt sorry for her. You're Adarlan's Assassin! Pull yourself together! Okay, maybe that is a bit harsh. However, it did not have to go on for as long as it did. Even here I am being a bit picky to find something to try  and complain about. I don't really think that I am doing very well at it though because I understand how Celaena reacted and I respect that. 
There was defiantly some developments in the characters throughout the book which were interesting to watch. I will start of with Dorian since I think that he probably developed the most. I loved how Dorian has stuck with his humor and is still a bit rebellious towards the king/his dad. I wish that we could of seen more of him like we did in throne of glass. He defiantly managed to get his head together and become wiser and focus on the things that are important. Celaena, to be honest, scared me in this book. The fighting scenes where she got the killing calm were eery but also extremely bad ass. I found that, we found a lot more interesting things about her past and origin. I also found that, she seemed a bit confused in this book, as in, what she actually wanted. We got to see a lot more of Chaol in this book as well. I found his past interesting (since it was mentioned multiple times in the book) and liked the scenes with his farther. I preferred how he acted when he was around Celaena and vice versa. I wish that he were a bit more like Dorian, humor wise, but it didn't matter because I felt like Dorian was Chaol's missing half and I like to see them talk together. I just wish that they were not arguing half the time. Nehemia was again one of my favourites. I liked how she was so into the rebellion and she really showed more passion for it in this book. She kept a sense of mystery throughout the book which kept you guessing about her. Mort, the skull, was hilarious. He was by far the funniest character in this book. He had snide remarks at the most inappropriate times which made the book have huge laugh out loud moments. I think that every book needs a character like Mort. He was my other favourite, next to Nehemia 
SPOILER CAREFUL DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK!!!!!!!!!
So this plot twist at the end. I was not expecting Celaena to be Fae and the heir to the Terrasen throne. At first I was angry about this because I felt like I had been cheated. It was so big that it should of been hinted at least once in the book. Then I sat back I looked back at my memories of text from both of the the books, and realized that there were actually so many subtle clues. The way how Nehemia had said to Celaena at the end of the first book, magic calls to magic. Celaena also had such a talent with the Wyrd marks and never talked about her past. I also never really thought about it but when it was mentioned that the rightful queen of Terrasen was working with the rebel group, Celaena was so certain that, that person was a fraud. And it makes sense because she is the heir. The clues all fit and now I am just astounded at how blind I was to not fit all of the clues together. The plot twists were defiantly well placed and done.
SPOILERS ARE OVER YOU CAN CONTINUE READING NOW!!!!!!!! 
I give this book 4 out of 5 stars: 



No comments:

Post a Comment