Wednesday 8 July 2015

Helen Falconer - "The Changeling"

Helen Falconer
Hey! This time I asked Helen Falconer, the author "The Changeling", some questions. Enjoy!


1) What inspired you to write "The Changeling"?
The inspiration for The Changeling: Moving to Mayo in the west of Ireland introduced me to Irish mythology. For example, in the local museum there is a display of the sort of iron fire tongs that mothers used to hang over the cradle to stop the fairies from stealing their baby. When my best friend’s little daughter Alana died, I wrote a story in which she didn’t die but was stolen by the fairies. This book is dedicated to her.

2) How did you come up with the character's names? Are they based on your life?
The names in the book are often heard in the west of Ireland; most of them are borrowed from my children’s friends! I love the name Aoife; it is the irish spelling of Eva, and pronounced similarly (Ee-fah) but looks very different on the page, which I thought was important to avoid confusion between the fairy and the human child. 

3) What power would you choose as a changeling and why?
If I could choose any power as a changeling, I would want to fly – just for the fun of it.

4) Which books influenced your life the most?
The Narnia books were very important to me as a child. As both child and adult I have read and re-read Moonfleet by J.Meade Falkner. Also, Lorna Doone by Richard Doddridge is a fabulous romantic adventure, and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte is the best love story ever. 

5) What are you working on now? What is your next project?
 Currently, I am working on the sequel to The Changeling – I have to deliver it to my editor by the end of August, although it's not out until next June. And then I have to write the third book!

Don't forget to check out my review for "The Changeling" here.

No comments:

Post a Comment