Saturday 7 November 2015

Julie Starr - "Magic to Memphis: What If Your Life IS Working From The Inside Out?"

Julie Starr
Hey there! It's been a long time since I last posted an author interview. But here we are once again! I shall start off with an interview with Julie Starr, who wrote the amazing book "Magic to Memphis: What If Your Life IS Working From The Inside Out?" Here are her answers:

1) What inspired you to write "Magic to Memphis"?

I’d say that all sorts of feelings, ideas, itches and urges sort of cumulated until I couldn’t do anything but sit and write it. For example, I wanted to remind us all of the magical way life seems when we are children. When Santa Claus, the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny all co-exist in our reality. The way Christmas Eve feels, as if fairy dust has been sprinkled all over the world for one special night. Then I wanted to explore this idea of manifestation, of the possibility that life works from the inside out. Also, what would happen if an everyday Angel dressed as a biker came down and whispered universal truths to someone who really (really) needed them? As those questions collide, their intersection creates the writing.


2) How did you come up with the character names? Are their personalities based from your life?
Some characters named themselves, like Jessie; literally I asked her what she was called and she told me. She’s sort of a cowboy and so I think that really suits her. Other names I had to search long and hard for, on the internet, asking other writers, etc. The name Finch was suggested by an artist friend who didn’t know that it was my husband’s last name! Kabos’ name has a hidden meaning to it, and so you’ll have to do your own research to find out his secret!

3) Do you personally believe in everyday magic?
I don’t just believe in it; I know it; when you see the world this way the truth of everyday magic reveals itself.

4) Since when have you wanted to be an author and why?
That’s difficult because as I look back I don’t recall a time when I didn’t feel like a writer and so as soon as I knew authors exist I guess that’s what I was always going to be. My other books are in business though, so becoming a novelist still feels pretty special.
 
5)What are you working on now? What is your next project?
It’s almost a secret so I can’t say much; just that it’s about a young girl, Alex, who has been raised in a children’s home. Alex thinks she’s an orphan but she’s not; she is being kept safe. What Alex is being kept safe from is going to reveal her whole world as an illusion. It's very different from M2M and actually anything I’ve read, so I’m really keen to get back to that – like right now!

Don't forget to check out my review for "Magic to Memphis" here

No comments:

Post a Comment