Tuesday 15 December 2015

First Chapter Tuesday Intros & Teaser Tuesday #2 - "The Magickal Birthday Treat" by Sheelag McGrath

Every Tuesday Diane @ Bibliophile By the Sea hosts a weekly meme called First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros. Basically, this is when you share the first and maybe the second paragraph of the book you are currently reading or want to read soon.


Teaser Tuesdays is a meme hosted by MizB @ A Daily Rhythm, where I need to open my currently-reading book to a random page and pick two spoiler-free sentences.

• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

I got a  request from a publisher to read and review this book. It sounds like an adorable book and I can't wait to start reading! There is more information about it here
CHAPTER ONE
The Ghost in the Computer 
Ten years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared. No, he didn’t leave. Leaving would imply suitcases and empty drawers, and late birthday cards with ten-dollar bills stuffed inside. Leaving would imply he was unhappy with Mom and me, or that he found a new love elsewhere. None of that was true. He also did not die, because we would’ve heard about it. There was no car crash, no body, no police mingling about the scene of a brutal murder. It all happened very quietly. On my sixth birthday, my father took me to the park, one of my favorite places to go at that time. It was a lonely little park in the middle of nowhere, with a running trail and a misty green pond surrounded by pine trees. We were at the edge of the pond, feeding the ducks, when I heard the jingle of an ice cream truck in the parking lot over the hill. When I begged my dad to get me a Creamsicle, he laughed, handed me a few bills, and sent me after the truck. That was the last time I saw him.

TEASER
“Gosh what’s that, Nonni? Sooo bright, brighter than the last!”
“That’s a supernova, they burn very brightly and then they’re gone, Jess.”
“Where do they go?”
“They explode and become debris,” explained Nonni.


What do you think about it? Would you leave it or keep on reading?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angelina - I haven't heard of this book, but I do like the intro. I like the voice of the protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the opening a lot. So sad but intriguing. This sounds like a story I'd enjoy.
    My Tuesday post features THE JOURNEY BACK – A Doublesight Story.

    ReplyDelete